In the latest edition of "The Enemy Within," The Report travels to a small Maine town to investigate the strange disappearance of five gallons of scallop guts.
In November 2012, scientist Skylar Bayer asked local fisherman Andy Mays for help with her research to improve reproduction success of Maine scallops. But what happened next resulted in days of turmoil.
The gallons of scallop parts Mays retrieved for Bayer went missing. Who took them? What did the police do? Watch The Report's explosive investigative piece below.
Why did Skylar Bayer want gallons of scallop balls anyway? Were her motives more nefarious than she let on? What was she hiding? Check out her website StrictlyFishWrap.com for more information on her research.
While covering the story, The Report team traveled to Jaydubs to enjoy the fish they'd been covering. Craving scallops at home? Here's the recipe the crew enjoyed.
Jaydub's Ginger Honey Scallops
• 2 TBS fresh, finely chopped ginger
• 2TBS honey
• 1 stick softened, salted butter
• Pinch salt & pepper
• 1 pound fresh Maine scallops
• 375 for six minutes
Finish: Broil briefly for color
Local coverage of the missing scallop guts:
• Southwest Harbor man seeking missing scallop guts after putting them in wrong car
• UM teacher: It was me. I have the scallop guts.
• 'Colbert Report' tackles MDI missing scallop guts caper